Abbie had a sip of rootbeer the other day and commented "hmmm... that tastes shiny".
We had friends over for a game night and Matt played with their son his age, Ethan, the entire night. When it was time for bed Shaun asked him to get ready (which around here means put on pajamas and brush your teeth). When he came out two seconds later Shaun said "Matt, did you brush your teeth?" (already knowing that he hadn't). When Matt answered "yes, I did" we all went into the 'oh no, let's see how far he takes it' silence and Shaun called him in. Here's what I can remember of the conversation:
Shaun: Matt, come in here bud!
Matt: (coming in where we're all sitting around the table) What?
Shaun: You know how I feel about lying, right?
Matt: (flashbacks to earlier lying-related punishments passing before his eyes) Fine! (starts walking down the hall towards the bathroom) I'll go brush my teeth AGAIN!
Shaun: No, no, no, come back here.
Matt: (returning) What?
Shaun: You're going to brush your teeth again? So you brushed your teeth? And before you answer that, let me remind you again how I feel about lying and let me tell you that you've got a fresh chance at answering me. So... did you brush your teeth?
Matt: Well, I did brush!
Shaun: So, if I go in there right now and feel your toothbrush you're telling me that it's going to be wet?
Matt: (starting to walk down the hall at a feeble chance to get the toothbrush wet before Dad catches on) But I did brush!
Shaun: Hang on! Come back here. (Matt returns) Let's try this again... did you brush your teeth?
Matt: Well, I just brushed my gums (pointing to his gums as a demonstration while the rest of us are trying to hide our smiles... as if that's why his toothbrush would be dry).
Shaun: Matt, this is the last chance, did you brush, and before you answer I'm going to clue you in to the fact that nobody just brushes their gums...
Matt: (with a look of panic) No one does!?
The sound of shock and desperation just sent us all over at that point and we all just busted up laughing. Needless to say Shaun and Matt had to have a little discussion in his room about lying and why Heavenly Father doesn't approve of it... and what the punishment will be this time.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So cute! We admire the way you handled the situation. We have not had a chance in a long time until mow to check out the Blog. Keep it up.
Post a Comment