Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pottenstein






Last year we went to Pottenstein a lot to go hiking. It is way close to home and super beautiful. We were too late to go into the Burg though, it closes in the winter. So I finally got to go today. The family that owns it still lives in it. They are an old aristocratic family and they maintain and preserve it. It sits at the top of a cliff. You have to climb a ton of wooden stairs to get to it but the stairs are all a third the height of what we are used to. I will admit I felt the burn! Not surprisingly the family lives in the building down below. A few of the rooms were done up to show how it would have looked way back when. It was surprisingly full of decorations. Usually way back when seems to be so sparse. The ceilings were really neat too. I've heard it called an armory so I'm not sure if it was a castle or fortress or what. There was some beautiful old pottery on display and a couple of old fabric umbrella's. That was not something you get to see often, they were so pretty. I will take you to see it if you come to visit me;) (hint hint Cheri!)

No comments: