Saturday, February 23, 2013

Any Excuse to Eat Chocolate

Okay, so I know this isn't a food blog, but I just made the yummiest healthy ice cream (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free) and have to share and record it since it's not written down anywhere.  You'll need a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec, but it'll come out just like ice cream!

Chocolate Nut Sorbet
1/4 c. agave nectar (or honey or other sweetener)
1/2 c. raw cashews (could probably use roasted, would just be a different flavor)
1 frozen banana (unfrozen might work too, just haven't tried it)
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt (really just added a healthy sprinkle)
Ice

Throw everything in the blender in the order listed and then fill the blender with ice up to the 5 cup line.  Turn on low, quickly bringing it up to high, and mix using the tamper until smooth and blended.

I use the tamper on this like crazy.  Put some muscle into it!  I try to push down into the corners and then pull it into the middle as this seems to mix and blend it the best.  Once it looks like it's blended, let it mix for just a little longer since you really want the nuts ground up fine.

This made enough for four people to have two ice cream scoops each.  I know this since I got my ice cream scoop out to serve it up.  So fun!  Amazing that it has this consistency and creaminess without any dairy and without having to freeze it in an ice cream maker!  I've had all my kids and several guests and even my hubby (major ice cream freak) all LOVE it.  This calculates out to roughly 4-5 points plus a serving for those on Weight Watchers, but the agave is a low-glycemic sugar so it absorbs slowly and doesn't spike your blood sugar level.  For the health benefits of cashews, you can check it out here: http://organiccashewnuts.com/health/.

I mainly just make this 'cause it's tastes awesome and I can now make chocolate ice cream whenever I want.  :)  I'll add pictures if I can snap one before it's all gobbled up.

No comments: