Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A New Post for a New Year

Well, I hate when others don't keep their blogs fresh, so I decided to take the hint and update ours... as slim as the update is.  The last of our holiday visitors have come and gone.  The kids had an IMMENSE Christmas and really do still have stuff in the box that they haven't yet gotten around to taking out to play with yet.  It was exactly what I hoped for and plenty more.

Aunt Joan stayed with us for a couple of days at Christmas and made it feel like a real holiday since Cheri, Drake, and Mikale deserted us for San Diego to be with his Dad.  The kids hadn't met her yet and when she pulled up she was surprised when Kayla and Dylan went out and greeted her with hugs.  Then even I was surprised when Matt went flying past me through the garage and flung himself at her knees to hug her.  What happened to my shy little Matt who typically hides behind me?  Abbie immediately reached up for her to hold her and laid her head against her for a sweet hug.  What a great welcome.

The kids have picked up 'surfer lingo' from Crush the Turtle in 'Finding Nemo'.  When Great-Grandma Shippen asked Kayla how she liked her new ipod, Kayla responded 'it's totally awesome!' (insert the surfer drawl).  Lola was a little baffled by that.  Later, Kayla said 'apparently Grandma Shippen doesn't talk turtle'.  So funny.  Even Abbie has started adding 'Dude' to her sentences.

The kids still have the week off from school and they're getting a little tired of the same old things, so they've been pretty creative lately.  Tonight they set up Matt's huge pop-tent in Kayla's room and moved all their blankets in so they're having a camp-out together on the floor.  Shaun couldn't resist the opportunity and found a toy dinosaur and a flashlight to shine the shadow on the tent.  As if they weren't having trouble getting to sleep already.  Thanks Daddy!

Well, so there it is.  My meager update at the beginning of 2008.  Oh yeah, I was too late ordering Christmas cards this year, so some of you lucky readers will be receiving New Years cards hopefully soon.  I only ordered 75 thinking that would be plenty.  Yeah... I probably should have listed all the aunts, uncles, and cousins first and then I would have realized that 75 really just covers them and not really anyone else.  I'll post the pictures on the blog for anyone that isn't absolute IMMEDIATE family and still want to bask in the light of my beautiful kids.  :)

Have a glorious 2008 everyone!

-Kristy

No comments: