Thursday, June 18, 2009

Still Fine Tuning the Conversational Skills

Yesterday morning it had been a while since I'd heard from Abbie.  I could see from the kitchen that she was in the bathroom.  I yelled "What are you doing Abbie?"  Her response, "um... ah... I'm not sure what I'm doing, but it's okay!"

Shaun tried to work with her yesterday on being more polite, because when he called her into the kitchen she said "what?" in response.  Here's his conversation with her:

Shaun: (calling out) Abbie!
Abbie: (wandering in) What?
Shaun:  Abbie, when someone calls you it's polite to answer with 'yes', so let's try that, okay?
Abbie:  'Kay.
Shaun:  Okay, I'm calling 'Abbie' and you say 'yes' now...
Abbie:  Yes.
Shaun:  Great, let's try it... (pretending to call out) Abbie!
Abbie:  What.
Shaun:  No, you say 'yes'.  So, I'll call out 'Abbie' and you say 'yes'.  Okay?
Abbie:  Yes.
Shaun:  Perfect.  Let's do it again... Abbie!
Abbie:  What.

Um, yeah, I don't think that'll be happening any time soon.

In other news, I've come to the sad conclusion that I'm the parent of a full-blown teenager.  Let's see if you can count all the ways in which this next episode proves that.

Apparently Kayla texted on a friend's phone to another friend the following message (name changed to protect the unsuspecting):  "Hugged John today.  It was nice and warm like a werewolf."

Yep... (1) she's texting, (2) she's boy crazy, and (3) she makes Twilight references in day-to-day conversation.  If that isn't full-blown then the constant phone usage and make-up applying tips the scales.  Thankfully she's awesome in every way so we may survive it.  :)

No comments: